Burlington Building Evacuated Due To Carbon Monoxide

(Image 1)

The colder temperatures this fall are giving furnaces across the QCA an earlier than normal workout and in some cases, demonstrating how important it is to keep them in good repair.

A building in Burlington, Iowa was evacuated due to elevated levels of carbon monoxide on Wednesday afternoon, November 19, 2014.

The Peterson Building, a four story brick building on North Fourth Street has multiple occupants; including a dentist office, offices for the 8th Judicial District and residential apartments.

Five people were evaluated by paramedics for carbon monoxide poisoning and one person was treated at the scene.

Alliant Energy shut off gas to the building, and after an inspection, officials determined repairs to the chimney were needed.

The city inspection department has listed the building as unsafe and it remains vacant until repairs can be made.

blog comments powered by Disqus