DAVENPORT, Iowa (KWQC) – What’s in a name at the Adler Theater in downtown Davenport?
The Adler was built in 1931 and, at the time, was the largest movie house in the state of Iowa.
Back in the early days, it was called the RKO. The theater had more than 2700 seats and packed the house for movies, plays and concerts.
But, by the early 1970’s the RKO fell into disrepair. It could have gone dark, but the Chamber of Commerce created the Rivercenter For The Performing Arts and started a fundraising drive to restore the RKO to its former glory. The goal was to raise 4.25 million dollars. The last 1.3 million was donated by Lee Enterprises.
Two of Lee’s founders were E.P. Adler and Phillip D. Adler. Although both men had passed away before the renovations, the theater was renamed in their honor because of their love and support of the arts in the Quad City area.
Today the Adler hosts Broadway shows, concerts and numerous community events. The theater is nearly 90 years old but is still community treasure.