Prosecution brings on-scene witness to the stand for murder trial

Lamaree Wilson-Neuleib edited

ROCK ISLAND, Ill. (KWQC) — Day two of the murder trial for LaMaree Wilson-Neuleib leads the prosecution to one of the first people on-scene to testify.

The first day of trial took place Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2016. The teen is accused of shooting into a car parked on a residential street in Moline, in May, 2015. The driver of the car, 18-year-old Zachary Phillips, was killed and the front-seat passenger, Erik Roberson, was permanently injured.

Chris Townsend was called to the witness stand as one of the first on-scene. Townsend said he and an employee were headed to check on a project near Calvary Church when they came across a group that he thought was dealing with car trouble.

“There was a car, a red car parked in the right lane a little ways ahead you know we could. As we pulled up I could see there was a guy standing behind the car, and there was somebody laying down by the tire, so we thought it was a flat tire that they had some road trouble,” said Townsend.

As the pair got closer they realized car trouble was not the case.

“I got out of the car and immediately the first thing I saw was the window blown out and uh in this kid sitting in the front seat with a hole in his head and blood pumping out of his mouth and blood coming out of the side of his head,” said Townsend.

He stayed on-scene trying to help. Townsend said this is a day he still remembers.

The prosecution also called three police officers and a dispatcher to the stand. The jury had a chance to listen to the 9-1-1 call and heard the name “LaMaree” clearly on the tape.

Police officers testified to finding blue latex gloves and tissues in Wilson-Neuleib’s pocket when he was arrested. Two officers also testified to seeing a fire at the home where he was arrested. Each officer said they believed the fire was used to burn clothing and shoes.

Two forensic scientists also testified. The first said his job was to test the evidence for finger prints. He said he was not able to pull any DNA off the four items submitted.

The second scientists examined the gun and bullets. He said after studying the gun and testing it, he concludes bullets found on the scene were fired from the gun believed to be the murder weapon.

The trial will continue on Friday, Oct. 14, 2016.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s