DAVENPORT, Iowa (KWQC) – Palmer College of Chiropractic is looking to enhance its campus by purchasing nearby properties and renovating them.
The college recently purchased twelve properties adjacent to the campus, two of which on on the National Register of Historic Places. Palmer representatives say that these properties are all vacant and dilapidated. The properties purchased include:
- 121 8th Street (former St. Luke’s Hospital)
- 216 E. 7th Street
- 912 Perry Street — in process of being purchased, soon to be finalized
- 214 E. 7th Street and 613 Perry Street — will be maintained and improved as community housing
At this time, Palmer does not have solid plans on how they will use each property, but they say they will work with city officials to determine the best use of each. Representatives have released this statement about the purchases:
Very few organizations are as committed to historic preservation as Palmer College of Chiropractic. Palmer College has been part of Davenport since the college’s founding in 1897. Since then it has devoted significant resources to preserving and enhancing historic campus buildings, including West Hall (the former Immaculate Conception Academy founded in 1859) and Vickie Anne Palmer Hall (the former Masonic Temple).
Palmer also is dedicated to improving the surrounding neighborhood, including purchasing derelict properties around our campus, which we’ve either improved as community housing or removed to be replaced by green space, parking and other campus enhancements.