GRANDIN, ND (NBC) – There’s nothing subtle about Pyro; you might not be able to take your eyes off her.
Pyro, and her brother Manny went unnoticed after being born in an unusual place. The two were inside a burn pile near Grandin. A couple weeks after they were born, it was set on fire, trapping them inside.
Luckily, news photographer Carlos Pacheco was nearby. “I walked over to get some different angles, and I heard a cat meowing, and I kinda looked around and I didn’t see anything, so I took a few steps back over to where I was, and it turns out the cat sort of blended in with the trees.”
Pyro was actually inside, and Manny was nearby breathing in too much smoke.
“It was too hot for me to even get close to it, which is why I was surprised that the cat was even in it. I had to shield myself with my jacket to even attempt to grab her,” Pacheco said.
Pacheco used a stick to pull out Pyro and scooped up Manny, putting them in a box, and taking them to Cat’s Cradle to get emergency care.
It’s a survival story, two kittens at the wrong place at the wrong time, who thankfully, are gonna be okay thanks to a photographer whose heart is in the right place.
Pacheco says he’s considering adopting Pyro and Manny, hoping wherever they go they will end up together.