Patient passing gas ignites fire during surgery

(AP photo)
(AP photo)

TOKYO, Japan (KWQC) – A hospital says a woman who passed gas while undergoing surgery ignited a fire that caused her serious burns.

The Asahi Shimbun reports the incident occurred in April at Tokyo Medical University Hospital.

A report released by the hospital on Oct. 28, 2016 says a laser was being applied to the woman’s cervix when she passed gas, and the laser ignited the gas.

The report says no other flammable materials were in the room, and that “When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”

The hospital says the woman in her 30s sustained burns on her waist and legs.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s